Cablevision is a telecommunications company supplying phone, high-speed Internet and digital television to customers in Colorado, Montana, New York, Utah and Wyoming.
It was originally founded in 1973 as a cable TV operator by Charles Dolan, who went on to create the HBO channel. Cablevision Systems is currently the ninth largest cable provider in the U.S., with over 3.2 million subscribers, and is found on the Fortune 500 list with over $7 billion in revenue in 2011.
Cablevision is a major supplier of news and media to the tri-state area near New York. They supply local content through News 12 Networks, and weekly shopper publications through Star Community Publishing. They also own Long Island newspaper Newsday.
The companys other holdings include the theatre chain Clearview Cinemas, one of the largest film exhibitors in the New York tri-state area. They operated Rainbow Media Holdings from 1980 until 2011, when it was spun off to become the AMC Network, current owner of the Sundance Channel, IFC and AMC. From 1997 to 2010, Cablevision alsoowned and operated Madison Square Garden before it became a public company.
Internet, TV And Voice
The Internet, TV and phone services are supplied under Cablevisionsbrand Optimum. Their stable of products include: Optimum Lightpath for business communications solutions, Optimum Voice for home phone, Optimum Online for high speed Internet, Interactive Optimum (iO) for digital cable and Optimum WiFi for wireless Internet.
- Optimum Lightpath: Lightpath is the division of Cablevision that supplies Internet, voice, data and video to businesses in the New York metropolitan area. Internet and data is provided on its $1 billion dollar fiber-optic network, connecting 5,000 buildings using 4,700 route miles. Its two packages are Metro Ethernet, with speeds up to one Gbps, and Optical Transport, which offers speeds up to 10 Gbps.
- Optimum Voice: Voice is Cablevisions home phone service, providing unlimited local and long distance calls anywhere in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- Optimum Online: Optimum Online is the Internet service for customers in Colorado, Montana, Utah and Wyoming. It features download speeds up to 15 Mbps, and upload speeds of two Mbps under the regular package. They also offer Optimum Online Boost, which provides download speeds of 30 Mbps and upload speeds of five Mbps, for an extra monthly charge. Online customers also get the Total Defense Internet Security Suite software for free as part of their package. It includes parental controls and protection against spam, viruses and malware.
- Interactive Optimum (iO): iO TV offers over 400 digital channels with several other features, including the Optimum App for streaming content on phones and computers, the ability to start the TV on a specific channel, DVR control when away from home and thousand of TV shows and movies available On Demand.
- Optimum WiFi: Cablevision recently reached a deal with Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Bright House Networks to share their wireless networks with each others customers, allowing Internet access at over 50,000 hotspots around the country. The company also rolled out a new app called Optimum WiFi Finder, which lets customers search for indoor and outdoor hotspots and connect for free when they are away from their usual networks.
SEE ALSO: Cablevision Systems Optimum Line TV