GWI was founded in 1994, is headquartered in Biddeford, Maine and offers telephone and Internet solutions for residences and businesses all over Maine.
They claim to be a company that knows Maine's people, and because they are independent, can offer a more personal experience in comparison to a major cable company. They purport to listen to their customers and respond quickly, even on weekends.
SEE ALSO: Local ISP Versus A Big National ISP
Three Ring Binder
In 2009, because of efforts made by GWI, $32 million was secured from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, funding its project called "Three Ring Binder," an 1,100 mile fiber optic network which brought greater broadband connectivity to rural Maine. In 2010, they turned over funding to the Maine Fiber Company, which constructed and managed the dark fiber network.
A Growing Company
GWI was named on the "INC 500/5000" list of fastest growing companies for the fifth time in 10 years in 2012, showing 12 percent growth over three years.
GWI is responsible for the Gigabit Main Street fiber network at the University of Maine, a fiber-to-the-premise (FTTP) network. They continue to expand broadband service across Maine.
GWI offers phone and Internet services for residences:
- Phone Service: The Basic Plan offers a phone service that stays on even when the power goes out, allows you to keep your current number, provides call waiting and caller ID and "low" international calling rates. The Standard Plan includes all of the features that Basic offers with free local calling. The All-Maine phone plan offers unlimited calling throughout the state. Their Flat Rate Unlimited Plan offers unlimited local and long distance throughout the U.S. territories and Canada.
- Internet Service: GWI Internet starts at $29.95 a month (with phone service). Plan includes unlimited Internet access, connections for five computers, five email addresses, 2GB of email storage, free spam filter and $50.00 in home installation.
GWI offers the following services for businesses:
- High Speed Internet: Businesses in Maine may be served by their high speed fiber-optic network.
- Phone Service: System built to meet the needs of small to mid-sized businesses. Upgrade to advanced IP phones, with pickup and transfer with point and click control. Incorporate cell phones, remote offices and work from home employees.
- Wide Area Networks: Connect multiple offices with point-to-point ethernet networks.
- Hosted Storage Solutions: File sharing, backup and easy remote access.
- Server Co-Location & Application Hosting: A world-class data center with 24/7 security.
If your business works with GWI, they will assign experienced account managers and technical support teams to you.
GWI is a growing telecommunications company that offers services specifically suited to residents of Maine. If you are interested in using their services for you home or business, contact them at 866-494-2020.