Options For Internet Service Providers
TDS Telecom offers voice, TV and Internet services in 31 states with 1.1 million access lines. They are the seventh-largest telecom provider in the country, and have been in business for over 40 years. They are a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Fortune 500 company, Telephone and Data Systems (TDS).
SEE ALSO: Wireless Internet Services
Voice packages for residential customers come in three different options: 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star. All packages include unlimited local calling, caller ID and call forwarding. The major difference between the packages is the amount of long distance minutes.
3-Star gets 30 minutes of long distance, 4-Star has 300 minutes and the 5-Star is unlimited. The top level 5-Star plan also includes extra features like 3-way calling, priority ringing and voice mail box. Those options cost an extra $5 a month on the 3-Star and 4-Star plans.
TV service for TDS Telecom customers is offered through DISH Satellite TV. Here are the five packages available:
- Smart Pack: 55 channels
- Americas Top 120: Over 190 channels
- Americas Top 200: More than 220 channels
- Americas Top 250: Over 260 channels
- Americas Everything Pak: Offers the most TV viewing options with 280 channels, including 31 premium movie channels like Showtime, HBO, Cinemax and Starz.
Service also includes different options for DVRs as well. Customers can get the standard DVR, HD-DVR or the HopperTM Whole-Home DVR.
The HopperTM DVR is the Ferrari of DVRs. It stores twice as many shows as any other DVR, can record six different shows at once, play back four different shows on different TVs and can even locate your remote for you.
Everywhere Technology integrates your TV service with a computer so you can watch live or recorded shows on the Internet with your phone or computer. Its like adding another TV.
You can schedule recordings, flip through the program guide, watch thousands of shows and movies through On Demand Content or even use your phone as a remote.
TDS Telecom offers dialup Internet access via USLink Dialup. It has a function called TDS Accelerator that improves speeds up to 7X faster than regular dialup.
- Lite Prime: 1 Mbps download speed/512 Kbps upload
- Express Prime: 5 Mbps download/512 Kbps upload
- Turbo Prime: 15 Mbps download/768 Kbps upload
- Extreme Prime: 25 Mbps download/5 Mbps upload
All Prime plans include multiple email addresses, each with 7 GB of storage.
Internet Plan Features
- Identity Protection with AllClear ID provides credit monitoring and protection against unauthorized inquiries, so you dont have to worry about identity theft. It is available for a small monthly fee.
- Online Backup with F-Secure provides automatic online backup with no contract and the ability to recover accidentally deleted and modified files. It is also available for only a small monthly fee.
- Internet Security by F-Secure features parental controls, spam control, firewall and virus/spyware protection for up to three computers.
- Hacker Alert is a network-based security tool that monitors Internet traffic for software threats. It alerts you when it has detected something malicious, and suggests how to remove it. A small monthly charge is required.
- Remote PC Support allows unlimited tech support to help with optimization, cleanup, device setup and support for issues not covered by the free help desk. Services involve a monthly charge.
- Learning Edge gives access to educational content like Encyclopedia Brittanica, Clever Island and Boston Test Prep.
- Premium Pass includes all available features at a discounted rate as a bundle.