Receive PCS orders? Here's where to go for help


  • Sgt. Stephen Kroulik (right), a PCS noncommissioned officer for the Outbound Branch of the Installation Personnel Administration Center, answers questions during a PCS and Moving Workshop, May 13, 2015, in classroom 7 of building 1090. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Kristen Wong/Released)

Military life is a rollercoaster. From the stress and fear of deployment to the joy and happiness of homecomings, a military family endures extreme highs and lows.

Military and Family Support Centers

Before and after your move, the administration, housing and relocation staffs at your old and new duty station can connect a number of resources including:

  • Information about moving costs, housing, childcare, employment opportunities for military spouses, and shipping and storing your household goods.
  • Relocation counseling on housing, finance and stress management
  • New personnel orientation

One of the best resources is your sponsor. They've moved to your new area. They've lived there for some time. They can be your scout as you make your way to your new home.

Online Resources

There are a number of comprehensive resources you can find online that will be of great assistance. Some of them are:

  • you can arrange and track your household goods through the Defense Personal Property website.
  • Search for tons of programs and services including chapels, family advocacy, child development centers, MWRs, exchanges, ID offices, auto hobby shops and more.
  • This website will create a three-month customizable calendar and checklist to help you plan and track for everything leading up to your PCS.

Emergency Financial Services

A lot of things can happen while traveling between duty sections, and you might need a little help during the trip.

  • Army Emergency Relief, the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, the Air Force Aid Society and the Coast Guard Mutual Assistance Fund are there to help during difficult financial times.
  • Your new installation's Military and family Support Center might have resources including a household good loan closet, emergency food vouchers and emergency community resource referrals.
  • Military OneSource consultants can direct you to additional emergency resources available in your new area.

Non-medical counseling services

Upset children and stressed spouses can make relocation anything but simple. In fact, it can cause anxiety and depression. If you and your family would welcome additional support:

  • Military and Family Support Centers and Work Life staff have numerous programs to help support members during difficult times.
  • Military Onesource can connect you with no-cost, confidential non-medical counseling services.

These resources can help support and make the PCS easier. So, let the adventure begin.

Date of original publication:
Updated on: October 06, 2016

Leave A Comment